Press "Enter" to skip to content

Barnsley's Cauley Woodrow holds nerve in very late show to stop Bristol City

Cauley Woodrow (right) is elated but Barnsley’s added-time equaliser leaves Bristol City players disconsolate.
Photograph: Malcolm Bryce/ProSports/Rex/Shutterstock

Cauley Woodrow rescued Barnsley a point at Oakwell with a penalty in the 12th minute of injury time as a 2-2 draw ended Bristol City’s perfect start to the season, though they remain top on goals scored.

Goals from Jack Hunt and Tyreeq Bakinson in the first six minutes of the second half turned the game around for City after Barnsley took the lead in the second minute of the game through Michal Helik. But in the fifth minute of added time, Michael Sollbauer was fouled and had to receive lengthy treatment before Woodrow was able to take the spot-kick.

The match started at a frantic pace, and within two minutes Barnsley took the lead. Romal Palmer lofted a corner in towards the back post, and defender Helik was on hand to power home the header from close range to give Barnsley a flying start.

The Robins almost replied a minute later, as a Tommy Rowe corner was headed just wide by Andreas Weimann. City came close to grabbing an equaliser again in the 17th minute when Hunt ventured forward and, with the ball at his feet on the edge of the area, had a strike at goal. The shot deflected upwards and hung in the air for a long time, before Chris Martin met the ball inside the six-yard area, but his header went wide.

City’s best chance of the half came five minutes before the break, when a long ball pumped forward by Hunt was headed down by Martin and fell to the feet of Nakhi Wells. He tried to prod the ball home past an onrushing Jack Walton in the Tykes goal, but defender Jordan Williams was in the right place for his side and was able to clear off the line.

Cauley Woodrow kisses the ball for luck before taking a penalty as his Barnsley teammate Michael Sollbauer is carried off the pitch injured

Cauley Woodrow kisses the ball for luck before taking a penalty as his Barnsley teammate Michael Sollbauer is carried off the pitch injured. Photograph: Anna Gowthorpe/BPI/Rex/Shutterstock

Two minutes after the restart and City were level. A counterattack led by Wells resulted in the striker having two efforts on goal saved by Walton. After a Jamie Paterson shot was then well blocked, Martin laid the ball to Hunt, who had just arrived in the area to rifle an effort past the unfortunate Walton.

Quick guide

League One roundup

Ipswich stayed top as Gwion Edwards’ third goal in two matches set them on their way to a 2-0 win over Accrington at Portman Road. Edwards drove in his fifth league goal of the season to give Town a 55th-minute lead and Freddie Sears sealed the points with a neat finish from a tight angle after good work from Alan Judge.

Hull moved up to second with a comfortable 3-0 victory at Rochdale.
Mallik Wilks’ header from Callum Elder’s corner put the Tigers in front after 20 minutes and the forward made it five goals in his last five matches in all competitions with a sweetly-struck half-volley in the 73rd minute. Josh Magennis made the points safe shortly afterwards when he headed in George Honeyman’s cross.

Peterborough are fourth following a 2-0 win over Oxford. Joe Ward’s neat lobbed finish from Jack Taylor’s pass put Posh ahead two minutes before half-time and Siriki Dembele doubled their lead after 65 minutes with a drilled finish.

Sunderland and Plymouth are both moving up after wins against Swindon and Northampton, respectively. Charlie Wyke was left all alone in the penalty area to volley the Black Cats in front and Chris Maguire made it 2-0 from the penalty spot. At Home Park, Plymouth took the lead after 41 minutes when Conor Grant’s cross from the right was turned in at the near post by Frank Nouble, but Northampton levelled when Ricky Korboa slotted home. The Greens grabbed a 2-1 victory when Kelland Watts volleyed in from close range from a deep corner four minutes from time.

Cameron Jerome scored his first goal in English football since 2018 as MK Dons ended their winless league start with a 2-0 victory over Gillingham, while Blackpool‘s poor start to the season continued with a 1-1 draw at Crewe.

Photograph: Simon Traylen/Rex Features
Thank you for your feedback.

A Paterson cross from out wide was palmed away by Walton four minutes later but his parry fell straight to the feet of Bakinson on the edge of the area, who tried to place his effort and with the aid of a deflection found the back of the net.

Quick guide

League Two roundup

Cambridge moved to the summit by thrashing struggling Scunthorpe 5-0. Paul Mullin buried two penalties inside 10 minutes before the break to take his tally to seven league goals for the season. The visitors did not take their foot off the gas after the interval as Tyler Cordner’s own goal made it 3-0. Scunthorpe’s misery was compounded when Myles Hippolyte was shown a second yellow card after 55 minutes and Joe Ironside netted a double to make it 5-0.

Newport are behind only on goal difference after a 1-0 win at Tranmere. Saikou Janneh gave the hosts a 25th-minute lead as he fired in from close range at a corner. Tranmere were left facing an uphill battle when Paul Lewis was shown a straight red card after 52 minutes.

Morecambe missed the chance to stay top of the table after being hammered 4-0 at Crawley. Ian Henderson missed a first-half penalty and Salford, with Paul Scholes in temporary charge, were made to pay as a late goal from Cristian Montano secured Port Vale a 1-0 win.

Cheltenham maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a routine 2-0 win at bottom side Southend. Zak Dearnley struck deep into added time to give Oldham a 2-1 win at Bolton. Jake Young scored his first senior goal to maintain Forest Green‘s unbeaten start with a 1-0 win over Stevenage and Jack Muldoon’s superb strike gave Harrogate a 1-0 win over fellow League Two new boys Barrow.

Photograph: Dave Lofthouse/Rex Features
Thank you for your feedback.

After the second City goal, there was very little action for the rest of the half until the 95th minute. Sollbauer was fouled inside the area by Callum O’Dowda, taking a nasty blow to the head in the process. After several minutes of treatment and the defender being taken off on a stretcher, Woodrow kept his nerve to convert the penalty.

This post was originally published on this site

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *