Press "Enter" to skip to content

#EndSARS: We’re sorry for being silent and not doing enough, Osinbajo begs Nigerian youths

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo has apologised to Nigerians, especially the youth, for keeping silent all this while and having not done enough to stop police brutality in the country.

His words came on Friday, as #EndSARS protesters held candlelight sessions for victims of SARS and generally, police brutality in several Nigerian cities like Abuja, Lagos, Port Harcourt and Ibadan.

In a Twitter thread, Osinabjo, via his verified handle @ProfOsinbajo, justified and admitted the feelings of anger and frustration by young Nigerians.

However, in attending to their demands, Osinbajo said several meetings had been held with state governors empowered by law to set up judicial panels of inquiry in their state to take action in doing so and compensate victims.

He said meeting had been held with other government officials and actions were being taken, which included the disbanding of SARS.

Those who suffered at the hands of disbanded SARS officers, Osinbajo said would be compensated with support from the Federal Government.

ALSO READ: Osinbajo worried, says poverty, economic distortions deepening daily in Nigeria

His statement reproduced below:

Dear Nigerians,

I know that many of you are angry, and understandably so. We could’ve moved faster and for this we are sorry.

I fully understand how many young people feel. Many feel that we have been too silent and have simply not done enough.

These feelings of frustration are justified.

There are far too many people who have been brutalised at the hands of the police and this is unacceptable. We must take responsibility for protecting young people, even sometimes from those who are paid to protect them.

Over the past week, we have been following the protests, and I have had a number of discussions with key people in the administration that you deserve to be informed about. Transparency, after all, is a key tenet of government.

Several meetings have been held with: the @SPLawan, @femigbaja, the Chief of Staff to @MuhammaduBuhari, Chairman of the @PoliceServiceC2, the IG of @PoliceNG (IGP), the Executive Secretary of @NHRCNigeria, and governors.

We understand that you want to see action from us and I’m here to tell you that work is ongoing. I chaired a meeting of 36 state governors and the Minister of the FCT (NEC), where we resolved to set up judicial panels of inquiry so we can see justice served, and fast.

The reason being that only state governors, by law, can set up judicial inquiries in their states. The hearings will be public.

With Mr. President’s approval, SARS has been completely disestablished, and none of its former members will feature in any police tactical units.

I am sending my deepest condolences to the families of Jimoh Isiaq, and all those who have lost their lives at the hands of wayward police officers. To those injured, I wish a full and speedy recovery.

We have proposed that each state government set up a Victims’ Support Fund, which @NigeriaGov will support. This is the least that we can do to compensate for the injustice suffered at the hands of errant officers.

We also understand that the issues that you’re raising are bigger than just SARS. They’re deep and systemic and we’re undertaking comprehensive measures that will revamp the police by addressing issues of welfare, service conditions and training.

On Monday, Mr. President also reiterated his commitment to these extensive police reforms.

We will continue to update and engage with you all on these action steps and the ones to come, in the spirit of transparency, so that you can hold us accountable. We are, after all, here to serve you and we owe you a duty to win back your trust.

Keep safe. God bless you.

~Yemi Osinbajo

This post was originally published on this site

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *