Press "Enter" to skip to content

England pull out of next month’s men’s and women’s cricket tours of Pakistan

England pull out of next month’s men’s and women’s cricket tours of Pakistan

  • ECB calls off planned first tours to Pakistan since 2005
  • Follows New Zealand’s withdrawal due to security fears

Last modified on Mon 20 Sep 2021 12.15 EDT

England have called off next month’s men’s and women’s tours of Pakistan after New Zealand abandoned their visit over security concerns on Friday. The England and Wales Cricket Board spent the weekend deliberating and have now pulled the plug on what would have been England’s first tour of the country since 2005.

In a statement, the ECB said: “The ECB Board convened this weekend to discuss these extra England Women’s and Men’s games in Pakistan and we can confirm that the Board has reluctantly decided to withdraw both teams from the October trip.

“The mental and physical well-being of our players and support staff remains our highest priority and this is even more critical given the times we are currently living in. We know there are increasing concerns about travelling to the region and believe that going ahead will add further pressure to a playing group who have already coped with a long period of operating in restricted Covid environments.”

Quick Guide

How do I sign up for sport breaking news alerts?

Show

  • Download the Guardian app from the iOS App Store on iPhones or the Google Play store on Android phones by searching for ‘The Guardian’.
  • If you already have the Guardian app, make sure you’re on the most recent version.
  • In the Guardian app, tap the yellow button at the bottom right, then go to Settings (the gear icon), then Notifications.
  • Turn on sport notifications.

The Black Caps were due to begin the first of eight white-ball internationals in Rawalpindi on Friday afternoon but instead called off the tour at the 11th hour, with players told to stay in their hotel rooms and prepare for a flight home.

The tour was New Zealand’s first to Pakistan since 2003 and their withdrawal was met with dismay by the Pakistan Cricket Board.

Eoin Morgan’s men had been due to play back-to-back T20 internationals on 13 and 14 October as part of their preparations for the World Cup campaign that starts in the United Arab Emirates the following week, while Heather Knight’s women’s side were scheduled to play two T20s and three ODIs.

The Spin: sign up and get our weekly cricket email.

The tours were arranged as a show of gratitude towards the PCB; along with West Indies, Ireland and Australia, when their men’s Test side agreed to play in the UK last summer, despite the Covid-19 pandemic, helping English cricket avert a £300m loss.

  • More details to follow

This post was originally published on this site

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *