Ivory Coast’s interim head coach, Emerse Faé, called the win over Nigeria in the African Cup of Nations final ‘more than a fairytale’ admitting ‘frankly, I still can’t believe we’ve done it’. Nigeria’s captain, William Troost-Ekong, scored in the 38th minute against the run of play with a header from a corner but the Super Eagles were outplayed in the first half and only threatened again after Sébastien Haller scored his second goal of the tournament. Nigeria’s head coach, José Peseiro, praised his team for ‘a fantastic tournament’ but admitted that in this game ‘Côte d’Ivoire was better’.
Emerse Faé and José Peseiro express mixed feelings after Afcon final – video
More from SportsMore posts in Sports »
- Nicola Olyslagers leaps to high jump glory at world indoor athletics championships
- Amy Gillett Foundation for cyclist safety to close after federal funds cut off
- ‘No excuse’: former NFL MVP Cam Newton sorry for role in Atlanta fight
- West Brom get new era off to flying start as they pull clear in playoff race
- European roundup: Bayern lose further ground, Milan beat eight-man Lazio